What is the City's mailing address? FAX number? office hours?
P.O. Box 400
Carthage, TX 75633
Office: 903.693.3868
FAX: 903.693.3882

7:30am-5:30pm  Monday-Thursday
7:30am-12:30pm  Friday
What is the procedure for having extra bags of trash picked up?
Only trash placed in the green cart will be picked up by the garbage collection each week. Your options for extra trash are to order an extra cart at $5/month or carry the extra trash to the Transfer Station at 1540 NE Loop (next to Tyson). You can also contact Waste Connections 903.986.1959 for a bulky pickup for a fee.
Can I buy trash bags at City Hall?
YES!  City Hall has heavy duty bags for $15/box. Each box contains 50, 30 gallon bags.  We accept cash, check or credit cards as payment.
What is the procedure for limbs to be picked up or chipped by the City?
Limbs that are picked up by the City of Carthage must not exceed 10 inches in diameter, 4 feet in length, must be placed at the curb and cannot be the result of a commercial contractor.  If you pay someone to clean your property, you must also ask him or her to dispose of the limbs.  We offer this service to help our residents when doing yard work or clean-up after a storm. The chipper truck runs a weekly route thru the city to pick up limbs. You no longer have to contact City Hall for a work order.
How does one report potholes or street signs in need of repair?
Fill out the "Citizen Request Form" located on the city website.
What are the Transfer Station hours?
The Transfer Station is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday - 7:30 AM - 4:30 PM
-Wednesday - 7:30 - 12:00 Noon
The transfer will accept anything except tires and batteries.  If you bring an appliance which contains freon it must be removed and tagged.  There is no phone at the transfer station.  It is located on the loop between the incinerator and Tyson Foods.
Who do I call to reach the Animal Control Officer, and is there a leash law?
Call the Carthage Police Department.  They have radio dispatch with the Animal Control Officer. You can reach them at 903.693.3866.  Yes, there is a leash law and your pet must remain in your control at all times when it is not on your premises.  The animal control officer does not work after office hours except in an emergency situation.
Who do I call for a complaint concerning weeds, overgrown lots, etc.?
Report such concerns on the "Citizen Request Form"  on our website. The Inspector will  look at the situation and determine if a letter to the property owner will be sent, or if the problem needs to be referred to someone else for action.  A weed letter sent for the first time allows the property owner 10 days in which to comply with ordinances.  If they have made an attempt and need additional time, it may be granted.  If nothing is done the matter will be turned over to the City Attorney.
Where do I get a building permit?
You will find this information on the Permits & Applications page that you can print, fill out, and bring it to City Hall. Or you can get an application at 812 W. Panola (City Hall). There are necessary fees to be paid when the permit is brought to City Hall. A list of fees are on this same  Permits & Applications page.
Who do I contact about other permits and regulations concerning building, remodeling, demolition, etc.?
You would need to contact the Building Inspector's Office at 903.693.8544, or you can contact City Hall at 903.693.3868.
Who do I call for questions concerning the Carthage Municipal Park Complex?
Call 903.693.3868, ext. 21, and ask for Dana Griffin.  She will be able to help you with your concerns or direct you to the proper person.
Does the City issue birth and death certificates?
The City of Carthage does have access to birth certificates if the person was born in Texas via online access to the State's computer.  Death must have occurred in the city limits of Carthage for us to be able to issue a death certificate.  Deaths which occurred outside the Carthage city limits must be issued through the Panola County Clerk's Office.  The cost for a birth certificate is $23.   A death certificate costs $21.00 for the first copy and $4.00 for each additional copy.  In order to obtain a death or birth certificate, it must be for yourself or an immediate family member (parent, sibling, spouse, grandparent, child)  You would need to contact Katie Foster for these services at 903.693.3868. Print an application
Who do I contact if my organization wants the Mayor to sign a proclamation?
You will need to contact City Hall at 903.693.3868, ext. 10.  Arrangements will be made with the Mayor and a date will be set. Contact with the news media will also be made for your group after it has been confirmed.
What is the rental rate for Davis Park Community House?
All information pertaining to the Community House is located under the "Facilities" link on this website.  Contact Cindy Deloney at 903.693.0160.
Who do I call to rent the Civic Center or the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame?
Contact Cindy Deloney at 903.693.0160. The fee for buildings is located on this website under the "Facilities" tab. Also, all forms for rental are available under this link.
How do I access water utilities? change of address? final bills?
You will need to contact the Water Department at 903.693.3868, ext. 13 or 14.  Water deposit is $150 for a residence and $350 for a business.  If you are moving out of town, your final bill will be taken from your deposit. A forwarding address must be submitted to the Water Department.  
How do I receive a 911 address?
Contact City Hall, 903.693.3868, Dana Griffin at ext. 21. A 911 address must be obtained before a building permit can be finalized.
If I have a zoning problem, how do I find out the correct procedure and correct zoning for my purpose?
You will need to contact Dana Griffin, Zoning Administrator, at 903.693.3868, ext. 21. 
What forms of payment does the City accept?
Cash, money order, check, debit or credit card.
If the 10th or 20th falls on a weekend or holiday, how can a water bill be paid if City Hall is closed?
If the 10th or 20th falls on a weekend, residents are given until the end of business day on Monday(5:30pm) to pay without an extra penalty. 

Two options are available:
1. Use the "Pay My Water Bill" link on the Home Page
2. There is a night drop under the drive-up canopy. Please place the small stub from your water bill along with the payment in an envelope in the night drawer slot.
In the event the bill is not paid on or before the 10th day of the month after the billing date, a late fee of 10% of the total outstanding balance will  be added to the account and the total will then immediately be due. If bill is not paid by the 20th of the month, water service will be disconnected and an administration fee of $100 will be assessed to the amount due in order to have service restored. 
Is burning allowed within the City Limits?
At no time is any type of outdoor burning allowed within the City Limits.
**If a burn ban has been lifted, that only pertains to areas outside the City Limits.
How do I get my mobile food unit registered with the City?
Complete the paperwork, pay the permit fee and decide where you will locate your mobile food unit. Make sure you have permission from the owner of the property. Turn in paperwork and pay fee at City Hall.

Mobile Food Unit Paperwork